The NSW Government has announced a major new grants package and Dine & Discover changes to help small businesses and individuals across NSW impacted by the current COVID-19 restrictions.
The package includes grants of between $5,000 and $10,000 for small businesses, payroll tax deferrals for all employers, an extension of the Dine & Discover program to 31 August 2021 and the ability for people to use Dine & Discover vouchers for takeaway delivered directly to their home by the venue itself.
The centrepiece of the package is the small business support grants which will help businesses by alleviating cashflow constraints while trading is restricted. This can be used for business expenses such as rent, utilities and wages, for which no other government support is available.
Three different grant amounts will be available for small businesses depending on the decline in turnover experienced during the restrictions:
- $10,000 for a 70% decline
- $7,000 for a 50% decline, and
- $5,000 for a 30% decline.
Unfortunately businesses continue to incur costs such as rent, power and lost produce whilst the current restrictions are in place. The new grants will be available across NSW and available to sole traders and non-profit organisations, with expanded criteria to assist most hospitality and tourism operators impacted by COVID-19 restrictions during the school holiday period.
Businesses will be able to apply for the grants through Service NSW from later in July and will need to show a decline in turnover across a minimum two-week period after the commencement of major restrictions on 26 June 2021.
Business grants will be divided into two streams:
1. Small Business COVID-19 Support Grant
Available to businesses and sole traders with a turnover of more than $75,000 per annum but below the NSW Government 2020-21 payroll tax threshold of $1,200,000 as at 1 July 2020. These businesses must have fewer than 20 full time equivalent employees and an ABN registered in NSW or be able to demonstrate they are physically located and primarily operating in NSW.
2. Hospitality and Tourism COVID-19 Support Grant
Available to tourism or hospitality businesses that have a turnover of more than $75,000 and an annual Australian wages bill of below $10 million as at 1 July 2020. These businesses must have ABNs registered in NSW or be able to demonstrate they are physically located and primarily operating in NSW.
NB: Full criteria are available on the Service NSW website: https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/2021-covid-19-business-grant
Other key elements of the announced package
- Dine & Discover vouchers will be able to be used for takeaway from eligible and registered Dine businesses during the restriction period, but food must be delivered direct to the home by the restaurant or café and not picked up. Dine & Discover vouchers cannot be redeemed for takeaway using third party delivery platforms.
- A further one-month extension of Dine & Discover vouchers until 31 August 2021 to allow more time to use them.
- Optional deferral of payroll tax payments due in July 2021 and the deferral of hotel June quarter gaming machine tax, with the Chief Commissioner of State Revenue able to provide for appropriate repayment arrangements on a case by case basis.
More information on small business support grants including Dine & Discover program changes is available on the Service NSW website https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/.